Yesterday I called my clinic to report Day 1 of my cycle. Based on not one but two previous discussions with my RE, I was under the impression I'd be coming in for Day 3 bloodwork and ultrasound, and then starting Estrace for a transfer in a few weeks.
The first sign that something was amiss was when I got a message from the clinic saying, "Hi, we got your message about Day 1, but we don't have a protocol on file for you. We're going to check with the doctor's office and call you back."
Fast forward about 6 hours. It's now 3:15pm, and the clinic closes at 3:30. Still no instructions about Day 3 or a prescription for Estrace. I call them back. The nurse puts me on hold and then tells me they've just gotten the protocol from my RE, and they'll call me in a few minutes. 15 minutes later I finally get the message on my clinic's call line.
"So you're doing an FET this cycle. You'll be starting BCP on Day 5 and we'll figure out the rest of your schedule after that."
Hold the fucking phone. BCP? Where is this coming from?
I hang up and call the clinic again. It's past 3:30. They're closed. I call my RE's office direct. I get her receptionist, who takes a message and says my RE will call me back. Finally the receptionist calls me back and says that my RE is going to change my protocol back to the one we originally discussed. I ask why there was a change in the first place. She doesn't seem to know, and suggests that it's really up to me which one I want to do.
Seriously? I'm the fucking patient! I want to do whichever one is going to work!!
I can hear my RE in the background so finally the receptionist just puts her on the phone instead. She indicates to me that there are several FET protocols and we could either do the long one with BCP and Lupron suppression or the shorter one which just starts with Estrace. She prefers the shorter one, but it depends on the results of my Day 3 workup. I tell her (even though I shouldn't have to, because it's in my goddamn file) that I am an early follicle recruiter/ovulator and tend to have high Day 3 estrogen levels. She says if that's the case then we may end up switching to the BCP and Lupron protocol, but we'll figure that out after my results tomorrow. She never does end up answering my question about why my protocol was mysteriously changed in the first place. Did she just rush it through since the nurses were bugging her, and didn't really think about it?
Either way, right now I am facing the very real possibility that I won't be doing an FET this month after all. I might be on BCP and Lupron instead. And this is making me very, very angry. Why is this the first time that this issue is coming up? I had a fleeting thought a week or two ago about my high Day 3 estrogen levels, but Dr. Google gave me no cases where an FET was cancelled for that reason so I figured it didn't matter. They're only going to be pumping me full of estrogen anyway, so what's a little head start? And if it is a problem (and one which I am well known to have) then why was an unsuppressed cycle ever under consideration at all? Why did I not start BCP in February? It is starting to look like we just completely wasted last month and put me through a totally unnecessary endo biopsy only to put me on suppression meds and possibly make me do YET ANOTHER ENDO BIOPSY after a BCP withdrawal bleed this month. What the fuck is going on??
The worst part is that this means that this whole IVF #2 mindfuck will probably get to continue for yet another month. I was ready to be PUPO in two or three weeks. Now it's looking like six. I started this IVF cycle in fucking January and won't have had anything put in my uterus until April??? Something is seriously fucked up with that. My biological clock is ticking away and my RE is just frittering away months like they're nothing. Bang up job there. Fuckers.